Thursday, March 18, 2010

How To Make Leggings


I get a lot of questions on how to make leggings, so to make the explanation process easier, here is a little tutorial.

SUPPLIES:
  • A pair of socks (woman's size)
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine or serger
  • Thread
INSTRUCTIONS
On the left, you see a sock. On the right, you see a finished legging. Let's make the second.



Step 1: cut the foot off just above the heal as pictured above



Step 2: cut the heal off of the foot as pictured above

Step 3: cut the toe off of the foot as pictured above

You can throw away the loose toe and loose heal pieces.



Step 4: turn the foot piece inside out as pictured above



Step 5: turn the foot piece right side out as pictured above. You want the raw edges together. Notice how the black stripe was in the middle of the foot and is now at the bottom of the foot piece. We will now call the foot piece the "cuff"



Step 6: place the cuff over the leg piece. You want the raw edges together (notice where the balck stripe is on the cuff). You want the cuff on the outside all the way around--not just on top of the leg piece.



Step 7: sew the pieces together. I prefer to use a serger, but if you don't have a serger, a sewing machine will work, too. When you do this, you are opening the sock as you would to put it on you.



This is how it will look when you are done



You can now pull the cuff down. The sewing is now on the inside of the sock



You are done! How simple is that!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Thanks Val! That was helpful! I was at target today and bought a pair of long tub socks in the women's section for $2. I had seen another blog that showed using tube socks, but your blog is much more clear in the step by step directions. I will have to let you know how they turned out.

Do you have a recommendation for newborn babylegs vs. sizing for an older baby, say 6 months?

Melanie said...

That is a good tutorial. I might have to link yours instead of the one I had before. Thanks! BTW, I love your new crocheted headbands. So fun! I might have to try and make me one of those. :)

Valerie Plowman said...

Susanne,

For McKenna, I have found the short women's socks work best. Not ankle...but not knee high.

For Kaitlyn, I like to use knee high women's size. McKenna can wear those at age one now. They are bunchy on her legs, but cute.

I haven't ever made them for newborn. For that, you might need to do girls size socks. But you could try the small women's size and see how it works.

Do let me know how they turn out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails